Accountability and control
- The State Security Department is the institution accountable to the President of the State and Lithuanian Parliament Seimas and its mission is to protect from the threats to the state, its sovereignty, and Constitutional Order.
- The Director of the State Security Department (VSD) shall be appointed and dismissed by the President of the Republic of Lithuania.
- The activities of the State Security Department are regulated under the laws.
- Seimas performs Parliamentary control of the activities of the State Security Department.
- Detailed budget, sources and other information of the Department is the state secret, as determined by the laws.
- According to Intelligence Law of the republic of Lithuania, the State Defence Service is responsible for coordination of activities of the intelligence offices and formulation of intelligence tasks. However, the Director of the State Security Department participates in meetings of the State Defence Service.
In accordance with the Intelligence Law of the Republic of Lithuania, the State Security Department must prepare two public documents annually: Assessment of the Threats to the National Security and Report on the Activities of the Department.
The reports which are publically presented to the society contain the guidelines of VSD activities. In this manner, we aim to enhance the trust of society and efficiency of activity functions.